Monday, February 08, 2010

Benny's the Big Winner!

Booyah! I made some serious bank this weekend, thank you for asking. A shout out to Drew Brees for that amazing performance, I would have been happy if you all just covered the spread but you went ahead and won the whole flippin' thing. Good for you guy. I only wish I could celebrate with you down on Bourbon Street, I'm sure it will be mardi gras squared there for at least the next couple of weeks.

I also hit a 6-7 pull tab and two of my numbers hit at the party I was at. Grand total so far...$163.

Which leaves me with my bets with Joe buds. We had about 20 different bets going on and at the end of the day, he was up on me one single dollar.

Until this morning, that is. I was reading a recap of all the ads and one winner was a Kia commercial featured a sock monkey. I had a one dollar bet that a monkey would appear in an ad before a caveman. Does a sock monkey count as a monkey? Survey says!?

Yes. A sock monkey is still a monkey, therefore our bets were back to even and I now owe Joe zero dollars. If Joe didn't call that audible at half time that Pete Townsend was going to smash his guitar, he'd still be in the money. But he got greedy and I hope he learned his lesson.

Not to change the subject, but I'm a huge fan of Bill Simmons on espn.com so I've decided that I'm going to write him an inane pop culture question every week until I get a letter posted on his page.

This week I've challenged him to name a better movie-inspired theme song than Weird Science. It's a trick question and I hope he picks up on it. A lot of people would say that the Ghostbusters theme song is the best, and that is the obvious answer but that would be incorrect. The correct answer is that there is no better theme song than Weird Science. Let's see if the Sports Guy knows his stuff. Or cares.

No comments: