Friday, February 05, 2010

Gamblor's Got Me By His Neon Claws

It's Super Bowl weekend and you know what that means...wacky proposition betting time with my old pal Joe Daniels.

To recap, I have basically broke even between all my fantasy leagues, pick em leagues, number pull tabs, and zany side bets with some of Green Bay's most nefarious gamblers, mainly Altmann and Vang, going into the playoffs.

I got my butt kicked though betting on the Pack against Arizona and also had 22-1 odds on the Pack winning the super bowl. Hard to say no to ANY bet with 22-1 odds but alas I am now down some unless you count the value of all the free shots I've taken during Cropsey's 2009 bar dice season but that's sort of mixing apple and oranges.

To make a long story short, I need to make some bucks this weekend in order to come out ahead for the entire year.

My first big bet is being placed as we speak by my pops who is in Vegas this weekend. For a christmas present, my dad got me a two month health insurance policy to cover me between when my last policy expired and when my new policy kicks in with my new job. But unbeknownst to me, my dad forgot to send the check so I was running around town last month with no insurance. Hahaha Dad, good prank, you really zinged me good there.

In any case, he feels bad so he's placing a $50 bet on the Saints with a 5.5 point spread. If I win that baby, I'll be all good for the season. It'll actually be a double win since I did NOT get injured and bankrupted by medical bills these past two months. My dad is a riot, what can I say.

I will update this weekend once the bets are finalized but right now, we currently have a back and forth regarding The Who's set list for the half time show. Joe has picked the last two Super Bowl set lists correctly so forgive me if I'm a little worried about this bet. He's very good. I think he either has a working relationship with Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen or he is a gifted psychic. Or he knows how to use an internet browser.

This year we have two set list bets to spice things up. We agreed that the over/under for songs from CSI introductions is 1.5. I took the over on that one, knowing full well CBS is going to appease the CSI fanboys out there. And we both agreed that Baba O'Riley will get played since that song just kicks ass so that leaves one song to our choosing. My gut tell me Magic Bus and Joe is dead set on Who Are You but only time will tell.

More bets coming soon, if you can think of some good ones let me know. Does anyone have odds how many times Haiti and Vilma/Garcon will be mentioned together during the broadcast? My guess is a whole bunch of times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Saints bet, Ben. I foolishly bet $50 on the Colts which officially sealed the deal for me not winning shit this year on any football related gambling. Alas, I should have bet the over on Pete Townshend guitar "windmills" instead.

Wohlhan86 said...

You should have heeded the immortal words of Wesley Snipes from Passenger 57..."Always bet on black".

Also, I would have taken the over on Pete Townsend windmills as well.