Friday, April 07, 2006

J Peterman Ideas: Part III

Hallway
I only had a millisecond to duck. Fortunately, my acute hearing was especially adept at detecting projectiles in mid flight. In this particular instance, the whizzing sound flying directly at my visage was a soft foam dart with a suction cup at the end.

I knew the rocket would leave a welt. I had to act fast. I hurled myself across the hallway into the adjacent room. I heard a distinctive thwack as the dart hit the mirror at the end of the corridor. I was safe. For now.

My heart beating rapidly, I knew I had to retaliate. Grabbing my Nerf firearm, I plunged onto the pine, going commando style down the alley like a newly trained private in his first fox hole. I set up for the kill.

I unleashed my fiery. The shot rang true, hitting my target with the velocity of an arrow fired from a bow by Hercules himself. I would live to fight another day. And Joey would be slightly annoyed for the rest of the afternoon.


Three Seasons Room
Andy stared across the table from me with his cold steel eyes. It was impossible to tell what two cards he was holding his hand.

I look down at the cards in front of me. There’s a queen of diamonds at the end of the pile. I want that. Unfortunately, a hodge podge of singular cards and suites precedes it. Still, a feeling in my gut tells me I’ll draw another queen on the next round and thus complete my three of a kind with the other femme fatale in my hand, the elusive queen of spades. I proceed with the bold gesture, ensuring spectacular victory or crushing defeat.

Andy calmly picked up the top from the card the deck and laid down the remainder of his hand into a small straight. The smirk on his face shames me to this day. I shall never again play another round of cards with Andy “Rummy 500” Copely.

No comments: